Tuesday, April 12, 2011

30 Day Song Challenge - Day 6 - A Song That Reminds Me Of Somewhere

Sunwich Port is a holiday resort on the Kwa-Zulu Natal South Coast in South Africa. In 1980 my mother took us there during our July school holidays and we stayed in a chalet at the municipal caravan park. There was a 'club house' that consisted of a tiny tuck shop that only opened at certain hours, a snooker table and a small television with a few chairs set up where you could go watch the evening news or whatever program had been selected by the time you got there. Sometimes they would show a movie against the wall.

My mother cooked Red Roman and we spent hours on the beach collecting shells. It was a piece of paradise.
My eldest sister, Janine was 13 at the time, Michéle 12 and Gareth only 3, so it goes without saying that Janine was in charge of the music. Janine & Michéle had beautiful voices and weren't too keen on me singing along - as I couldn't always keep a tune and hardly ever knew the right words.

There's a moment that stands out in my mind: We were leaving Sunwich Port in my mother's bright orange Volkswagen Beetle. A tape was playing on a portable tape recorder - I can't remember if we had one in the car or if it had just packed up - it might also have been to keep the noise contained in the back seat for the benefit of my mom. It was Joy singing Paradise Road and as I looked back to the place we had spent 10 wonderful days, I truly felt as if I had been in Paradise.

Unfortunately I wasn't able to find a better video clip, but the song is truly beautiful.

1 comment:

  1. One of those 'feel good' songs - and you are an amazing writer. I love your stories

    ReplyDelete