Thursday, June 9, 2011

40 Day Blog Jog - Day 18 - Bah! to cancer

There is a saying in Afrikaans: Na lekker lag kom lekker huil. Which means after a good laugh comes a good cry.
So, yesterday we had a good laugh at everything Sheena Says - damn that woman is funny, but today we are onto something a lot more serious.
Stephanie Butland was diagnosed with cancer in November 2008.
I have read a few accounts of people who have had cancer, but there is something quite different about Stephanie's story. It has a lot to do with the way she thinks.

How I Said Bah! to cancer: A guide to thinking, laughing, living and dancing your way through, is due for publication in October this year. You can go here to preorder what I know is going to be an amazing read, because I was lucky enough for Stephanie to send me the beginning of the manuscript last year and it really is great.

This book tells how one woman said ‘Bah!’ to cancer through thinking strategies, a proactive approach to treatment, and a determination to keep the rest of her life going and retain a sense of humour (most of the time!). It shares everything she learnt along the way, from the nature of cancer cells and chemotherapy drugs, to how she was able to help her friends and family to help her. ‘I was never going to die from cancer. That hard lump peeping out of the top of my bra was aggressive but it was small enough to be contained, and I was young and strong and otherwise well. All the signs were good. Words like “lucky” and “caught in time” were thrown around like rice at a wedding. No, I was never going to die from cancer. But from the beginning, I never planned simply to survive it. Oh no. I was going to say a great big Bah! to it. Please, join in. Cancer? Bah!’

http://bahtocancer.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment