Sunday, October 24, 2010

Neglected Blog & Bootcamp

Yes, yes, I know I have neglected this blog terribly.
I have a few excuses:
  • I thought I needed to be terribly funny to be blogging. It would seem the last time I felt funny was 3 months ago
  • I read other blogs and feel totally inadequate
  • I have a life that is mostly taken over by 3 children & a husband
  • Oh...and I have another blog: www.burn2write.co.uk so you can check that out too if you like
However - I have now decided to pull finger and stop neglecting this blog because:
  • I like to write and so what if I'm not always funny
  • I need an audience - because not all writing can take place in my head (lack of space up there)
  • I will use other blogs for inspiration and not intimidation
  • And I will teach 3 children and a husband to become more independent so that I can write more
So - I did this online writing course with Jeremy Shipp - who I must tell you I highly recommend as an awesome writing tutor. You can follow him on Twitter @JeremyCShipp.
Just a word of warning - his writers course was not called Yard Gnome Army Fiction Writing Summer Bootcamp for nothing! If you go anywhere, attend anything or take part in anything that includes the word BOOTCAMP, then you need to know this: BOOTCAMP means THIS IS SERIOUS BUSINESS. I have even decided not to go to that Chocolate Eating Bootcamp that I saw advertised. I'm too scared.

But, seriously - it was an awesome course and anyone feeling they need a bit of a push as far as their writing is concerned, will benefit from this course. I found the assignments and deadlines very beneficial. All day every day even when I wasn't writing, I was thinking writing and 'got down to it' more seriously than I have in a very long time. It reminded me of who I am - a writer. And what I need to be doing - writing.
And you get personal feedback from Jeremy for every assignment, which is priceless. Anybody writing knows how hard it is to get proper, decent feedback. Well, it has been for me anyway.

Let me just mention - Jeremy isn't some fly-by-night-flash-in-the-pan writing tutor. Jeremy is a decent author. Just type in Jeremy C Shipp in the Amazon search bar and see what it spits out. (Cursed, Vacation and others)

I welcome any comments and hope that this blog (and my other one - don't forget to check it out) - will help me to grow and develop as a writer.
Hop on and come with for the ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment